Monday, October 20, 2003

First off, let me preface this post with the fact that I admire those who are able to eliminate or reduce the amount of dairy and or meat from their diet. I would never be able to do it successfully. As I love the taste of both cheese and flesh
WAY TOO MUCH!

My good friend Simon noted in his blog, that he and his girlfriend would be celebrating her birthday in Chicago. They would be going to a resturant that features... veggie duck.

Now I love duck, don't get me wrong...
and I'm assuming that veggie duck is probably pretty spectacular...
however, if it's veggie... how is it duck?
If you are a vegetarian and if you don't like eating meat... especially because the thought of eating meat as murderous... why would you want the meal to be refered to as duck?

Why don't vegetarians have new terms designated for their entrees?
Are they afraid that they'll be viewed as larger elitists than they already probably are made to feel like if they have special names for their food?
Does it make them seem or feel more "normal" to refer to non-meat products with their meat-esque counterparts?

I just don't get it.

If you want to eat duck, real duck... and your choice in vegetarianism is a health choice... I'd like to remind you that it's possible to be a meat eater and to be healthy.
Moderation in all things.

I won't even get into the countless vegetarians... not any that I know, per say... but those that don't want to eat meat... and yet are more unhealthy than tons of carnivores I know.

The other question that I have, due to ads that I saw in Herbivore magazine...
(otherwise a great magazine... just causes this carnivore confusion...)

Why would a vegan or vegetarian want fake fur?
If they don't agree with the killing of the animal to make a clothing or fashion item...
why would they want to pretend that they are wearing it? Is faking it cool?
'Cause it still looks like animal... and that ain't cool.

No comments: