Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Continuing Saga of Compact Disc Reduction

Adult. - D.U.M.E. - Just got it. Already, I don't value it as much as some of their earlier work... but I can't ditch it yet.
Aerial M - October EP - Keeper, valued alone for it's wicked "slowcore"* cover of the Mistfit's "Last Caress."
Aerial M - S/T - Keeper, I love Pajo's gtr. noodling on a rainy afternoon
Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth - Keeper. I dunno if its the gritty production or the even grittier vocals, but it's still fresh.
Afghan Whigs - Uptown Avondale - Keeper. Btwn "Band of Gold," and "Rebirth of Cool" are some pretty forgettable Whigs "soul" covers. But a mega-mix of "Rebirth" and the Stone Roses' "Fool's Gold" can always pump-up a party... and "Band of Gold" seems like it would find a good home on Gentleman.
Afghan Whigs - Gentleman - Keeper. "I'm a GENTLE -MAN!," "THIS IS WHAT JAIL IS REALLY LIKE," "Tonight I go to Hell. For what I done to you. This ain't about regret. It's when I tell the truth." Lyrically: Bare-nekkid-soul -- spirit, not sound, and by the end -- spent. "Well baby, now it's through." Musically, this is the 90's sound I wish to remember.
Air - Moon Safari - Bye Bye. Kitch factor high. Make out album, indeed. Essential? Nah.
Air - The Virgin Suicides - Keep. Sure, it's a kitch filled creep-fest, but the eerieness of the Giovanni Ribisi sample in "Suicide Underground," the motorik pace of many of the tracks, and the flow of the middle passages makes it a dark dream worth revisiting.
Air - 10000hz Legend - This is Not My CD. I'm unsure how this made it into my collection, but if you're interested in returning my remastered Clash - Sandinistas, AmAnSet's - From Our Living Room to Yours, or Luna's - Penthouse**, I'll be more than happy to give you back this CD, or trade it in good faith that it's yours, or just give it to you 'cuz I don't want it.
Air - Talkie Walkie - Gone Daddy Gone.
Air Miami - Me. Me. Me. - KEEP. KEEP. KEEP. Mark Robinson and Bridget Cross' work here is very much like a Perfect Teeth II, showcasing their mix of hooky, blistering guitar strum paired with boyant bass-lines, and meloncholy dirges. Vocal stylings here are some of my favorites, although Mark is still very much unrestrained with his potty/dirty-mouth/mind.

--
* My favorite of the "cores," but still a horrible name for a genre.
** Yeah, I'm talking to YOU, Cali-boy. Otherwise, I don't know where these are.

No comments: